"Has the most attitude on the team"
- "Lets fight crime!"
Raphael or Raph is a member of the TMNT. He is the younger half-brother of Karai, younger brother of Leonardo, and the older brother of Donatello and Michelangelo. He is the second son of Master Splinter, and "The Tough one/Rebel" of the team.
I'm Raph. If there's a brawl, count me in. Leo loves to plan, but me? I'd rather fight first and ask questions later.
If any shellbrains try to mess with me and my brothers, they won't know what hit them! Oh yeah, they will... ME! you bad guys heard me! if you guys ever mess with my brothers, you'll get it! I know that Leo and I have been fighting a lot but... were brothers and brothers fight a lot. but we protect each other and that's what counts the most in my life.
Raph is a dark green mutant ninja turtle. Like Leo, Raph doesn't have any changes to his physical appearance, and is much more like his other incarnations, except for the lightening bolt shaped crack on the right corner of his plastron. Raph wears a red mask with long, tattered tails indicating his reckless side. He has green eyes and is ruggedly handsome as turtles go. Raph is the third tallest turtle, and seems more muscular than his siblings.
Like the intro states Raphael has the most additude on the team, in most incarnations of him, Raphael has an extremely short temper and is very hot-headed. He is tough, brawny and aggressive, Raph loves fighting and does not like it when Donnie or Leo come up with very complicated plans. If it were up to him, they would just, in his own words, "Bust some heads". Raph is extremely sarcastic and likes to make fun of his brothers and is good at coming up with very smart-mouthed remarks. Also, Raph often lets his impulsiveness get in the way of rational thinking.
Despite all this, Raph does have a soft side, (though it's rarely, if ever, displayed), and is very kindhearted and loves his brothers and Sensei very much and would do anything to protect them, but he would never admit it in order to stay "hardcore". He tends to have a soft side for his pet turtle Spike, who he loves, pampers, and adores. On rare occasions he even has a soft side towards Mikey, as seen in "New Friend, Old Enemy" and "New Girl in Town." considering he is his baby brother.
Raphael thinks the least out of all his brothers right next to Mikey. His temper, in a way, gives him a boost in his strength which helps him out in battle.The problem though, he often gets into situations without thinking. His temper and rash decisions often causes problems, not only for the team, but for himself.
Raph is the strongest, toughest, and fastest of his brothers, and is able to take on opponents quicker. His temper, if used correctly, can boost up his strength and make him a much better fighter. Raph has also pretty good defense since he uses his sais to trap peoples hand and judo flip them, he doesn't think much when fighting which could work to his advantage.
His weapon of choice are the sais, because, in a way, it represents his hand to hand combat style. Like his brothers, Raph is stealthy, can hide in the shadows, sneak around without being detected, and use hand to hand combat like a real ninja .
Raph and his brothers were once ordinary turtles; when they were infants, they were adopted from a pet store by Hamoto Yoshi, Splinter. When their soon to be father walked passed a strange man, a Kraang droid, he felt something odd about him and followed. Unfortunately Splinter gave away his position when he accidentally stepped on a rat's tail. The Kraang found him and attempted to kill him, but Splinter fought back hard. In the end, the Kraang dropped the canister of mutagen causing the turtles and Splinter to mutate. Splinter came in contact with a rat last, thus mutated into a rat, While Raphael and his brothers, after coming in contact with Splinter when he was human, mutated into humanoid turtles. Splinter knew they would never be accepted in society, so he took them to the sewers, made a home down there, and made the four turtles his children. Knowing the world would be dangerous and there would be a time where they want to explore the outside world, Splinter trained the boys in the art of Ninjitsu. Raphael and his brothers were named after great Renaissance artists from a book Splinter fished out of the storm drain.
Interactions with other characters
- Like his 2003 cartoon incarnation, Raph has a disliking of insects and he is terrified of Donnie's pet Spy-Roach, meaning he's most likely suffering from katsaridaphobia (fear of cockroaches).
- Raph has a lightning bolt shaped crack in his left upper plastron.
- Raphael is voiced by Sean Astin, who was seen in movies such as The Goonies, Rudy, and Lord of the Rings.
- He is the first to show the turtles ability to pull their heads into their shells which freak the shell out of those who witness.
- He can hold his breath underwater for about 15 minutes.
- He is the second oldest out of his brothers.
- The red in his bandana represents his main emotions: rage and brashness.
- His main elements are fire and earth.
- His main season is fall.
- He's also known as the rebel of the team.
- It seems there's a running gag about him pulling his head into his shell, as every time he does, his brothers freak out thinking he was beheaded up until he pulls his head out of his shell.
- He has a drumset in his room. It's possible if he likes playing music.
- If you think about it, Raph is kind of like Fishface, except he fights for those he loves and those in need, while Fishface fights for the things he wants.
- He is named after Raphael Santi.
- He is shown to have a very infamous sibling rivalry with Leo like most of his incarnations.
- For some reason, Raph, along with Donnie, wanted Mikey to still believe in Leprechauns and were urgently trying to tell Leo not to say they weren't in "Enemy of My Enemy"
- He likes reading comic books.
- He has the longest bandana that is also tattered and worn out, possibly to an incident in his childhood.
- He has the second darkest skin like the other incarnations.
- This incarnation of Raph has a pet turtle named Spike.
- He has mastered Taijustu, Shurikenjustu, kobudo, Kayajustu, Shinobi-iri, Boyaku, Sui-ren, Archery, and intonjustu.
- Raphael's name is Hebrew, meaning "God has Healed".
- His name in Kanji is ラファエル (Rafaeru).
- Raph is the only turtle in this series to have green eyes.
- A running gag is that he often likes to attack or hit his brothers whenever he is annoyed or angry with them (especially Michelangelo) or simply to dull boredom.
- Raph's the third tallest/second shortest of the turtles.
- His main pillars are either strength or speed.
- In "Donnie Saves A Princess" Raph was dressed up as Princess Zelda from Legend of Zelda.
- Raph was the first turtle to use the Stealth Bike before his brothers and use it again in "Pulverizer Returns"
- He is the only one who learns about his enemy past in "Baxter's Gambit".
- He seems to protect his family out of tough love especially to Mikey.
- He and Mikey are the only ones to not have crushes yet and Season 2. Leo discovers Karai is Miwa, so Leo may end up with no crush.
- He is the third turtle to say "Booyakasha!"
- He's the second turtle to have his room shown.
- He's the second turtle to hide completely in his shell.
- "It LITERALLY hurts to listen to you sometimes!"
- "Still standing, huh? I'll fix that!"
- "We're not Kung-Fu Frogs, We're Ninja Turtles!"
- "Stick It In Your Shell!"
- Takes a deep breathe* "Like a river over stone."
- (to Snakeweed) "You could turn out handsome like me, or you could turn out disgusting and deformed, like Mikey here."
- "Are you an idiot?! Wait, let me rephrase that. You're an IDIOT!!"
- "Sometimes it's good to be a turtle...and sometimes it's good to be a short turtle."
- "I never thought I'd taste anything better than worms and algae but this is AMAZING!"
- "You're not yourself bro, Let me help you!"
- "All right! An all you can BEAT buffet!"
- "Leo, do you know what's in wasp eggs...here's a hint, WASPS!"
- (When asked if he would like to see Donnie's latest invention) "See, this is how bored I am. Yes Donnie! I do."
- "I know how they (Kraang-droids) work. You hit'em until the brainy toy surprise pops out!"
- "Yes! I never liked Mr. Nice-turtle."
- (After Leo bites him) "DID YOU JUST BIT ME!? YOU BIT ME!"
- (To Mikey when he said sorry for dropping Chris) "Don't apologize." (Mikey: "Oh...uh, Sorry i didn't drop you harder!") "There you go."
- "I don't know sensei, it was a disaster, I just froze. I have no problem risking my own life, but risking my brothers..."
- (While Possessed) "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?"
- (While Possessed) "What about Michelangelo...?"
- "Boy, I sure hope this argument goes on for another four minutes and fifteen seconds!!"
- (Leo tries to instruct by using hand signals) Raph: "I...don't...know...what...that...MEANS!!!"
- "I just have to destroy Lame-o-nardo here."
- "Frogs are not lizards and we're not frogs!"
- To Mikey* "SAY IT!!!!"
- "What, are you fighting a guy in slow motion?"
- "Sensei, Mikey made us bring a monster home with us!"
- "Sensei, he was the angriest, nastiest guy you ever met. You should have heard the insults this guy was throwing at us, they were so.......... INSULTING!"
- "You mean you set him free?!?"
- " I'm fine. I love you." Mikey* "HE'S NOT FINE!!!"
- "TCRI? They're behind the Kraang plot?"
- "AAAAAHHHH ROACH!!!!!!"
- "It makes things go boom."
- "Sounds weird when you say it."
- "HE HAS A SAW?!?!? The cockroach has a SAW!"
- "Hey! Nobody hits Mikey except ME!"
- (Under the influence Fishface's venom) "Donnie? Why are there fingers on my feet?
- (About Fishface) "Important safety tip: Avoid the legs!"
- "This is either going to be really cool or really painful... Okay, it was both."
- "She's the Shredder's daughter."
- "Lets go whack some pinatas."
- " Where were we? Oh yeah I was turning you into fishsticks."
- "Aw, sewer-bunnies!"
- "Okay Spike, you'll like this show. It's called DOES MIKEY BEND THAT WAY!"
- "I love you man."
- "Thanks, magical unicorn."
- (To Spike) "Chew on your leaf if you understand me."
- (To Mikey) "If you tell anyone, I'll beat the green off you! But, you're a really awesome guy."
- (After he finds out Mikey is okay) "MIKEY! Don't scare me like that buddy, I thought we lost you!"
- LEATHERHEAD! *comes in with Leo and Donnie* GET AWAY FROM MIKEY OR WE'LL TURN YOU INTO THE WORLD'S UGLIEST SUITCASE!
- Donnie, did I ever tell you how awesome you are? Donnie: "No." Raph: "Well I'm seriously considering it."
- (Talking about what is wrong with Donnie's face) "Would you like the list alphabetically or in descending order of gross-ness?"
- "A Cockroach, WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE A COCKROACH!?"
- "Oh, Sorry Leo it was Spike's idea. He said "Space Heroes" is too stupid for him."
- (Goes out to retrieve Mikey) "I'm coming Mikey. No six foot tall cockroach is gonna eat my brother!"
- "Hey! The Stealth cycle's my thing!"
- "Donnie we're letting you keep him (Mutagen Man), but you gotta keep him in your lab so I don't have to look at him."
- After Splinter states the turtles are beating the Foot easily* "Why does he make that sound like it's a bad thing?"
- "So what if Shredder's building an army of Mutants. They're still no match for my sais! High three!"
- "Sensei, we don't get it. How does switching weapons help us in a fight."
- After Splinter finishes a story about a Damio* "I guess that guy lost a lot of fights."
- "OW! Look compassion's great, but the purple dragons are never gonna leave Murakami-san alone."
- "Was that suppose to sound tough...or stupid?"
- "Why do I ask these questions!"
- "I was dropping the foots like flies with my sais."
- (After going back to normal due to Mikey) "But...that's so...smart."
- (After Leo yells at Mikey) "Whoa...are you okay? Usually bursts of anger is my thing."
- "In your face gravity!"
- "Leonardo!" (After Leo goes down with the Technodrome.)
- "Leo! You Dork! You scared the heck out of us!"
- "Well, our friend's gone." (Looks back in the lab to see his brothers chasing the 2 mutant squirrels) "But... We still have plenty of crazy..."
- "Ugh, I-it's in my gutts! I-I can feel it and their munching on that popcorn I ate! IT'S FREAKING ME OUT MAN!!!!!"
- "Sweet mother of mutation..."
- "Sorry Slash, my brothers come first. No matter what."
- (After Donnie tells Raph and Mikey to move on without him) "No turtle left behind. That's our rule."
- (When Slash is about to finish Donnie and Mikey off) "Slash! You see, that's what real friends do. They stand up for each other. I'd rather be like my brothers than you any day."
- (After crashing into Leo's little 'tea party', Leo calls up to him) "LEO! Having," (Looks around the room) "Tea time?!"
- "Meditate on THIS!" (Hits a pressure point on Slash)
- (Sees Casey fighting the Purple Dragons) "That guys out of control."
- (About to kill Casey but stops himself) "What am I DOING? Maybe I DO have anger issues..."
- "I'm freaking out... I'm freaking out... I'M FREAKING OUT!"
- (to metalhead) come on you tin can!
- (Mikey: Why do I have to wear the cheese?!) "We have to lead them away, and you're awesome at being bait!"