|Rise Of The Turtles|
|Season 1, Episode 1 And 2|
|Premiere||September 29th 2012|
|Written by||Joshua Sternin & J.R. Ventimilia|
|Directed by||Michael Chang|
|Next or Prev. Episodes|
"Rise Of The Turtles" is the first episode and series premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The first part of the episode premiered on September 28th, 2012, and the full epsiode premiered on September 29th, 2012.
Splinter allows his teenage sons to visit the surface for the first time; the turtles make discoveries about the surface world and become emboriled in mysterious, alien plot.
The episode opens up with a shot of New York City. The screen moves down to the sewers, where we see the turtles training. Leo vs Mikey and Raph vs Donnie. Leo beats Mikey, and Raph beats Donnie. The training ends with Leo vs Raph, and Raph wins. Splinter then comes in telling the turtles that they have done very well, but Raph says he did better. Splinter gets annoyed by this and pressure points Raph in the neck causing him to say things such as "good job everyone!".
We then see the turtles eating their dinner, algae and worms. Mikey is the cook and he brings out a cake he made out of more algae and worms for the turtle's "mutation day"(which is kind of like their birthday except they were mutated when they were born). Mikey begs Splinter to tell the story of how they were mutated, and Splinter does. He tells the story of when he encountered The Kraang and fought them, causing them to drop a canister of ooze, causing he and the turtles to mutate. Mikey then call's the empty canister "Mom". Leo then asks Master Splinter to go up to the surface since they are now fifteen. Master Splinter is not sure they are ready but eventually relents and allows them to go that night. The turtles journey above ground to the streets of New York City. When they emerge there is graffiti and garbage everywhere and a hobo sleeping on the street (and passing gas while sleeping). Mikey takes this in and remarks; "It's so beautiful!".
The Turtles explore New York City, and are amazed by all the things that are up there. A pizza dude on a scooter sees them and is shocked. Raph makes a scary face and a growling sound, causing the pizza man to drive away screaming while dropping a box of pizza in the process. Mikey notices the pizza, and the turtles bring it on top of a building with them to try it, and they are instantly hooked. Leo then tells them it is getting late and that they should get back home, but Donnie sees April O' Neil and her father Kirby O' Neil walking across the street. Donnie instantly falls in love and goes googly-eyes on her. The Kraang then come to kidnap April and her father, and the turtles rush to save them. They have a hard time fighting since they were trained to fight as individuals and not as a team. They keep bumping into each other and spoiling each other's attacks. A Kraang grabs April, but Donnie throws his Bo-Staff at it and catches April. April then screams, causing Donnie to also scream. He tells her they are the good guys but just when she is about to grab his hand, Mikey knocks his nunchaku into him and the Kraang get away with her.
Leo, Raph, and Don chase their truck and Mikey is about to follow when he sees a Kraang behind him. He tries to fight him but he cannot win. He then runs away with the Kraang right behind him. Mikey is cornered and uses his Kusarigama to slash at the Kraangs face. The Kraang then falls to the ground, and Mikey realizes it was a robot and not really a human. The Kraang brain briefly attaches to Mikey's face before running away. Mikey then tells the other turtles about this, but they don't believe him.
The Turtles then go back to the sewer, Where Splinter is disappointed in them. Splinter tells them they were not ready for the surface, and that they could try again in another year, but Donnie tells Splinter that they were counting on them to save them. Master Splinter looks at his picture of his wife and his infant baby Miwa, and finally agrees.
The turtles set out to find clues and run into a man called Snake, a criminal on the Kraang's payroll. The turtles capture him but, due to Mikey's ADHD, he escapes. Knowing Snake is hiding in an alley, Leo and Raph stage a plan to attack the Kraang compound, knowing that Snake will tell the Kraang to prepare. The turtles get ready to go up to the surface again. Leo plans the attack, Donnie fabricates some wall-scaling claws, Raph talks to his pet turtle Spike, and Mikey annoys him. As Leo is planning the rescue, he says he thinks the plan will work. Splinter comes in and tells Leo that no plan ever survives, and it depends on how he and the others cope with the unexpected.
The turtles send Snake's van crashing into the gates of the compound, creating a distraction for them to scale the wall. They enter the compound and realize that Mikey was right about the brains in robot bodies after all. They locate April and her father but they are loaded onto a helicopter and lifted away. Meanwhile, Snake, having been covered in mutagen by the van crash, is now the weed monster; Snakeweed! Raph, Leo, and Mikey fight Snakeweed while Donnie attacks the helicopter and manages to save April. The turtles are able to defeat Snakeweed, however it is shown that he survived and that he will be back someday with revenge in mind.
The turtles take April to her Aunt's house where she vows to find her Dad and the turtles promise to help. Back at the lair, it is shown that one of the turtles shuriken was found by the police. In Tokyo, The Shredder sees this news story and journeys to New York to find Splinter to finish what he started a long time ago.
"No plan ever survives contact with the enemy. It is how you react to the unexpected that will determine if you succeed."
Character Debuts Edit
- Leonardo (First Appearance)
- Donatello (First Appearance)
- Raphael (First Appearance)
- Michelangelo (First Appearance)
- Master Splinter (First Appearance)
- Spike ( First Appearance)
- April O' Neil (First Appearance)
- Kirby O' Neil (First Apperance)
- The Kraang ( First Appearance)
- Snake (Snakeweed) (First appearence)
- Tang Shen (In A Flashback)
- Miwa (In A Flashback)
- The Foot Clan (First Appearance)
- Shredder (First Appearance)
- This is both the season premiere (of season 1) and series premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- This is the first episode to be one hour long, making it the length of two episodes (so this episode counts as episode one and episode two).
- This episode was originally called "Day One", but it was changed for unknown reasons.
- Part 1 of this episode premiered on September 28th as a "Special Preview".
- This episode originally aired as a "Series Preview" on Friday, September 28, 2012 at 8:00pm (ET) on Nickelodeon. The episode premiered in its official time slot, Saturdays at 11:00am (ET), the following morning along with the second episode "Rise Of the Turtles Part 2".
- The zoom-in on New York Cityand then its sewers is more or less taken from the 2003 show.
- Hamato Yoshi mutates into Splinter like the 1987 animated series and the Archie Comics series loosely based on the 1987 animated series.
- Like in the '87 series episode "A thing About Rats", the Turtles don't believes Mikey's story of an alien brain.
- April and her father are introduced when walking in front of the Second Time Around Antique Store, which April inherited from her father in the continuities of the live-action films & the previous incarnation.
- Raph's comic book has a picture of Mutagen Man on the cover.
- When the Turtles start exploring the streets, one of the store windows they pass has the word "Ventimillia" on it. This is likely a reference to J.R Ventimillia, one of the producers and writers for the series.
- Leo's favorite show, "Space Heroes", is reminiscent and a parody to the existing show "Star Trek: The Animated Series"
- This is the first episode in which "Booyakasha!" is said
- In this episode Raph beated Leo in a training match, this could imply that Raph is stronger than Leo.
- This is the first apperance of Mikey's new weapon, the kurigasama a chain-sickle.
- The heart background used when Donnie first sees April looks somewhat like the ending background used in The Powerpuff Girls.